Professor Jock Findlay AO, PhD DSc FSRB FSSR (USA)
- Distinguished Scientist, Hudson Institute
Professor Jock Findlay AO is a member of the Centre for Reproductive Health.
2009 – Adjunct Professor, School of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences, Monash University
2009 – Honorary Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, The University of Melbourne
2014-2016 – Chair, Advisory Board of the Robinson Research Institute, University of Adelaide, SA
2014-2015 – Past President, Society for Study of Reproduction (USA)
Professor Jock Findlay joined the Prince Henry’s Institute (now Hudson Institute of Medical Research) in 1979 and is a Fellow of the Academy of Health and Medical Science (FAHMS). Jock has published over 280 research papers and received multiple awards and accolades for his work.
A major theme of his research has been in understanding how fertility in women is related to the function of their ovaries, exploring how healthy eggs are formed, stored and released.
His research has led to a shift in understanding how hormones have local effects on the body including the production of eggs. Jock’s work has also contributed to the development of improved IVF procedures and understanding of fertility and infertility.
More recently he has contributed to our understanding of chemoresistance and metastasis of ovarian cancer.
Female fertility and infertility, ovarian physiology, ovarian cancer
2014 – Honorary Life Membership to the Endocrine Society of Australia
2013 – NHMRC Ethics Award
2012 – Lifetime Member, Society for the Study of Reproduction, USA
2012 – Emeritus Member of the US Endocrine Society
2009 – Life Member of Society for Reproductive Biology
2008 – Made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)
2006 – Awarded the Dale Medal by the UK Society for Endocrinology
2006 – Distinguished Scientist Award made by the UK Society for Reproduction & Fertility
1999 – Awarded the Asia & Oceania Medal of the UK Society for Endocrinology
Service to the Scientific Community
- 2014 – External Reviewer, Center for Biomedical Research Population Council, NY, USA
- 2014 – SSR Representative, World Congress of Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, UK
- 2009-2014 – Board Member (2009-2011), Vice President (2011-2012) and President (2013-2014) Society for the Study of Reproduction USA
- 2010-2014 – Chair, Grant Review Panel, NHMRC
- 2012 – Inhibins & Activins, Guest Editors: K. Stenvers and J.K. Findlay, Molecular & Cellular Endocrinology
- 2008-2013 – Member and Deputy Chair, & Chair of Scientific Committee, Advisory Board of the Robinson Research Institute, Adelaide, S.A.
- 2003-2014 – Member & President (2010-2014), Board of the Victorian Breast Cancer Research Consortium Inc.
- 2003-2012 Chair, NHMRC Embryo Research Licensing Committee
- 1989-2012 – NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow
- Regulation of new folliculogenesis and hormonal regulation of the ovary
- Infertility disorders and ovarian cancer