Neurodevelopment and Neuroprotection
Research Group Head
The Neurodevelopment and Neuroprotection research group is embedded within the Fetal and Neonatal Health Neurodevelopment and Brain Injury Theme of The Ritchie Centre. The group provides a focus for experimental and clinical studies directed towards understanding, and inhibiting, the mechanisms that contribute to perinatal brain injury and functional deficits associated with cerebral palsy. We strive towards the implementation of treatments to decrease neonatal brain injury and that can be effectively administered either during pregnancy or in the neonatal period. Such treatments include antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and stem cells obtained from the cord blood and placenta.
Associate Professor Suzie Miller’s group comprises more than 20 members with experts in fetal physiology, neuroscience, stem cells, cardiovascular physiology, clinical obstetrics, neonatology and paediatrics. This group provides a highly-regarded training platform for biomedical and clinical students.
- Stem cells to reduce perinatal brain injury – fact or fiction?
- Protecting the intrauterine growth restricted (IUGR) fetal brain with natural neurosteroids.
- Treating neonatal seizures with ganaxolone
- Can we modify neurovascular development in the IUGR brain with endothelial progenitor stem cells derived from cord blood?
- Umbilical cord blood stem cells to improve brain structure and function after severe birth asphyxia, when to administer and how many?
- Improving newborn wellbeing in a rural Indian community with a simple transdermal patch.
Our research focus
- Dr Emily Camm, Senior Research Scientist
- Professor Graham Jenkin, Senior Research Scientist
- Dr Courtney McDonald, Senior Research Scientist
- Dr Tamara Yawno, Research Scientist
- Dr Beth Allison, Research Scientist
- Dr Tayla Penny, Postdoctoral Scientist
- Professor Michael Fahey, Honorary Clinical Associate
- Associate Professor Atul Malhotra, Honorary Clinical Associate
- Dr Yen Pham, Research Support Staff
- Dr Amy Sutherland, Research Support Staff
- Elham Ahmadzadeh, PhD Student
- Alexander Bell, PhD Student
- Ingrid Dudink, PhD Student
- Arya Jithoo, PhD Student
- Beth Piscopo, PhD Student
- Charmaine Rock, PhD Student
- Madeleine Smith, PhD Student
- Tegan White, PhD Student
- Dr Lindsay Zhou, PhD Student
- Sophia Green, Honours Student